View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 06:30 AM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
This is true. Even among sophisticated racing boats, these all suffer from the reality of going airborne. Notice how most misadventures occur when approaching another car or boat. Turbulent air affects not only the subject car, but the cars they're passing.

Real racers tune their suspensions for maximum grip to the airstream. So much so, that on race courses involving city streets the heavy manhole covers are welded shut!

It doesn't take much at 130-MPH to flip your car--or a nearby car--when encountering a dip or bump in the road. Our Interstates aren't Autobahns. Cars make lousy aircraft.

I was fortunate to train drivers to introduce--or improve--high speed driving skills. These were conducted on famous North American race courses and organized by the world's largest single-marque automobile club.

You could bring your own car to the race track, but Corvettes, Panoz and Vipers were rare. With the exception of an instructor's Corvette, I don't think I saw a single one!

In the 1980s, we were paid to instruct. In 1990, in an expense-reducing measure, we instructors were given an hour's track time (per day) instead in our own cars. Of course, we had expensive tires with commensurate high speed ratings.

This was much more rewarding, as we could demonstrate our discipline to anyone who had paid for the high speed driving course. (Although most of instructors' "seat time" was instructing as a passenger in the participant's car).

I was fortunate to instruct among with racing's luminaries like Sam Posey and Vic Elford.

Vic drove his Porsche 917 at 246-MPH at LeMans--at night! He has since sadly passed away last March.
OUTSTANDING post!

Did you compete yourself?

Myself, I'm a former drag racer, very different activity in many way, and at the same time many of the same challenges apply.

As is the case with most drag racers, we are also often our own builders and mechanics, and for me there is a duality to racing that I love the tuning and testing as much as the racing. Building the car, tuning the car and racing the car you eventually become one with the car and can sense how its running and reacting. Its all been a great joy to have participated in.

Sounds like you have some really interesting and fun seat time! Maybe some quiet summer day we can connect and you can share some of your experiences.

Thanks.

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-08-2022 at 07:25 AM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote