Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
You are correct from a physics perspective, but from a cost perspective, electric resistive heating is the least efficient use of your money. Which is what most discussions about heat refer to , at least from my view.

Some people are fine with this. Also, I'm not saying people shouldn't use these devices, they can make a cold house more comfortable. But you have to be careful that you don't freeze pipes by going to extremes.
Agreed—I was addressing the semantics given the discussion about infrared vs. radiant, etc. above, and also because even the discussion of economy isn't simple.

For example, my electric heat is controlled by individual thermostats in each room. This allows me to heat the rooms I want to while also not messing up the balance with the wood stove.

Also, electric baseboards are maintenance free, user-replaceable, and last virtually forever as opposed to furnaces, handlers, etc. needing to be replaced every 10-20 years or so and maintained annually/semi-annually.

The calculations can be complex, especially in years that oil and NG/LP prices are high.

Added: there was recently a discussion about gas prices on my town's forum and how people were driving to another town to save $.30/gallon without realizing that the savings (and free time!) were wiped out by the extra driving.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote