View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #81
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJohn View Post
Although I find most of FLL's post to be a waste of time to read, I thought this time he made a valid observation.
I am not going to say anything that has not been said already but here are my 2 cents.
I own guns and have a concealed carry permit. I have taken a gun safety course. I have carried maybe twice. Personally I think a gun gives one false courage and is more likely to get you into trouble than keep you out of it. If I were to carry I would take all the gun courses I could find to teach me how to respond and shoot in an emergency. Without that training I am more likely to get myself and bystanders killed. Cops have that training and still get themselves into trouble.

Open carry? What is the point? The only point I can think of is intimidation of the innocent. If I am a bad guy who wants to do you harm your open display of a weapon is not in any way going to deter me...rather I would thank you for the heads up.

If I owned a store such as MB I would not allow guns to be openly displayed. If someone sued me fine...guess we would let the Courts decide.
Personally i think the notion that "a gun gives one false courage and is more likely to get you into trouble than keep you out of it" may have some validity right up to the point of an incident, and at that moment the situation will change and go one of several different ways; the gun holder may freeze and become unable to do anything, the gun holder may exercise very cautious consideration about next steps, the gun holder may panic and do something rash, the gun holder may take positive aggressive steps to end the confrontation, the gun holder may get cocky and cause more problems. I'm sure there are even more ways this could unfold, but thats enough for the moment.

As for you prohibiting open carry in a store you own, why would that end up in court? Unless you did somethings stupid like only allowing white men to carry openly, then you might get hit with a discrimination complaint. Otherwise organizations have all kinds of rules they can implement. Long ago many restaurants would not let you in if you didnt have on a jacket and tie. Bars frequently will not let in customers who have dog chain necklaces or motorcycle chain belts, some places prohibit gang-wear including public schools! So far as I know open carry is not a 100% universal everywhere standard, for all things there are limitations, and hopefully they are reasonable.

It would go a long way toward meeting all parties interests for a company that does not want open carry in their store were to say something like "please conceal all firearms to ensure our environment is welcoming and meets the expectations of our our customers regarding their safety" or anything rather than the old heavy handed approach of "open carry is not permitted in our store"

The choice is theirs, but one might satisfy most customers while the other will surely alienate some and infuriate others.

So many choices, and we still make so many bad ones. Or, just more drama,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote