View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 08:30 AM   #13
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I own a Tesla S and 18kWp of solar on my Mass house. Returns on my home solar are better than 15% IRR.

When we think about the return on solar compared to the stock market, it is important to keep in mind that the past ten years or so have been extraordinary for the stock market, and the stock market is much more risky than solar, which is similar to a bond in terms of risk. On a risk-adjusted basis, solar is much better than stocks. If your retirement portfolio is 60/40 stocks/bonds, you'd do really well to sell some bonds and put the money into solar on your roof.

Nobody has asserted the Lightning should be your only backup if your power is unreliable or that battery backup is a driver for either solar or EVs. But it would be a great feature for those (like me) who do not own a generator. So it's kind of weird that a Tesla driver would throw so much shade Ford's way
Oh, I forgot to mention, the only reason my Solar has as good an ROI as it does is because of the SREC incentives. If I purchased today it would take 10 years or more to break even. You’d really have to be a poor investor to not double your money in 10 years in the stock market. I’m not saying Solar is not worth doing. I’m arguing your misleading comment that you’ll do 2x stock market by investing in solar. I did it primarily for the environment. Just as I have by investing in EV. Financially, long term you’d do better in the stock market on either.

I’ve not had much in Bonds for nearly a decade since around the 2008 melt down.

You keep saying he was not suggesting this or that. He was !!! He’s proposed the lighting truck be the solution to long term power outages. Not only does he already have a generator he proposed charging his truck with it, after he depleted the truck battery.

He is proposing it as primary long term back up solution. And a terrible idea. I think Tesla backup batteries are stupid too (for backup). But making them portable is an even worse idea.

If you have the truck, it’s charged and convenient and you don’t feel like firing up the generator because it’s only gonna be a day. Fine. Or camping. But for anything else, good luck.

His post was an Ad !!! Come see me when you get your lightning truck and I’ll set you up for power security.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote