View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So my question become what where you using for a GPS?

I have invested this year in the humminbird Helix 5 system, and am finding it very useful at night, especially when dealing with channels. And have been comfortable using it to navigate those channels in the pitch black and not concern myself with being able to see the markers. For informational purposes I got the Helix 5 unit w/ GPS, and DI sonar, I also purchased the additional Northeast Lakes chip.

With that said, I have spent a lot of time on the water, during the day with this GPS unit building up trust. The markers all show up on the GPS unit itself and I find their placement to my vessel to be fairly accurate....

On the same night as the OP, I zipped right through the six pack with out blinking an eye...

WIth that said the Graveyard is a bit tighter, and I don't think I would have the confidence there, although with the right zoom level I might I would have to play with that some....

With all that said.... the Graveyard at night doesn't sound like fun, even just thinking about, why not go around, and use one of the alternate routes (heading over towards 19 mile bay).... that is far easier to navigate......
I'm using a Garmin Echo 57 or something. I went through the Graveyard because 1. I'd already had the active tracks from earlier, 2. I have a "safe passage" indicator on the GPS, and 3. It's what I'm most familiar with (I don't think I've ever gone around the island).

The only problem with GPS is its accuracy has a margin of error—that margin of error is about the same distance as that between the Graveyard markers. So, even though I had an active track, it showed to the opposite side of the marker we'd come by first. I know enough not to trust it to that level of detail, hence why I needed to find (at least) the first markers. From there, it's easy (!).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote