View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I second the observation that when watching fireworks people tend not to anchor but simply "dead drift" -- personally, and especially on a moonless night, I find this totally appropriate and honestly feel it is safer than strictly having stern light on ....... especially given the congestion.

With regard to the use of spotlight or docking lights .. it is quite appropriate to use, BUT they should only be done with a short burst -- Docking lights are much better as they do not blind the driver as badly as a handheld spot from the helm ( I have learned).........

Another little known factoid that would have certainly helped you align the graveyard is that ALL Red Top's have a reflective band just below the red. Thus making it easy to discern a red top from a black top quite quickly. Beware of older wooden spars (very few left these days) where the reflective tape has worn off.
The hard part is that, going north as I was, the black markers appear red from the port lights. That's a good tip as a backup, though.

What I'm hearing is this:

* Even though people are not moving a lot, the navigation lights may be appropriate as they are not actually anchored and might help identify orientation in congested areas.

* Using spot/temporary lighting to identify markers is acceptable, but thought must be given to not affect the night vision of both the helmsman and other boaters.

Always open to more info, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote