View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
BrownstoneNorth

Default Accessibility

LIfeforrelaxin,

I'm sure that Broadhopper did not intend to mislead the OP or other disabled persons, but the fact is that the law absolutely does not "prohibit business from not allowing access for disabled folks," which is what his post states. For the reasons cited in my previous, urging a disabled person to report a small town business in the Lakes Region of NH because it doesn't have wheelchair access is not helpful and would simply waste a lot of people's time.

Somalicat,

Seconding Surfnsnow's recommendation of the Mt. Washington cruise ship, and confirming that it is indeed wheelchair-accessible.

I don't know about Meredith, but several establishments in Wolfeboro are accessible, while others are not and could not reasonably be made so (steep steps, narrow aisles, awkwardly placed and/or tight bathrooms, etc. -- most of these places have very little room to work with).

I'm pretty sure that the Downton Grille on Main Street, which overlooks the Lake, and Wolfe's Tavern at the Wolfeboro Inn, are accessible restaurants. As for stores, I'd suggest just wandering the sidewalks, which is pleasant in and of itself, and popping into those that are accessible and might be of interest to your friend.

The Wright Museum is fascinating and definitely wheelchair-accessible:
http://www.wrightmuseum.org/about/who-we-are.html

I'd also recommend the Cotton Valley path (starts at the base of Railroad Avenue) -- flat and accessible and, in my experience, bikers are more considerate about making way for people in wheelchairs than they are for walkers. :-)

(It sure would be nice if all establshments with websites specify whether accessible but, alas, most do not.)
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote