View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #34
classic22

Default bill clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Thanks Classic, I get that and understand that the bill doesn't make noise above the present limit legal. But the law can also and most likely will be used to make quiet boats louder, and I think that sucks. Too much noise already, and trust me, I'm not a kayak paddling, granola crunching environmentalist here, I just hate unnecessary noise. My opinion....
ITD, while I appreciate your concerns, the cost of modifyng a quiet boat into a "switchable exhaust" would most likely be prohibitive with the cost to modify in the 3k range. Most of the boats you hear on the lake today that might be considered by some as offensive, actually are legal and have mufflers. Most boaters today that want some "sound" to their boat would just opt for above water line exhaust with mufflers, and be perfectly happy and legal. Alot of boats produced by manufactures today with above water line exhaust build them with a switch to quiet them even further. It seems counter intuitive that the same boat has to be modified today to remove the switch to be able to legally operate in NH waters, regardless if it is legal on the "loud" setting. This law also drives away tourists, who may choose to take their boating dollars somewhere else, because they would have to modify their boat today to be compliant with law in NH and no where else.This new proposed legislation makes sense for residents of NH and tourists alike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classic22 For This Useful Post: