View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #48
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
So one accident 5 years ago would have been prevented by a speed limit?
And another, in which a teenager "borrowed" his parents boat and hit an island would have been prevented by a speed limit?

elchase, obviously I am well aware of how to use the internet. I could do a google search and find even more irrelevant accidents that you have. However, when one is trying to make a point, which you obviously are, it is my opinion that that person should provide evidence to back up their asssertions.
You implied that all of a sudden, in 2009 since the speed limit law went into effect, that accidents on the lake ceased, due to the implementation of the speed limit. And my implication is that statement is bull hockey.
I'm not going to get into it with EL. I don't even see his posts that you don't copy. But you are not going to change his mind. There hasn't been an accident on Lake Winni in years where a boat was traveling at such "great" speeds causing an accident where a speed limit would have mattered... Even if the operators of the last two tragic accidents were not breaking a slew of other laws the 25 mph at night would not have done anything to keep the accidents from happening.

The littlefield accident was determinded to be at 28 mph by a projection.

And the blizzard accident has yet to be determined.

So insinuating that a limit would have kept these from happening is down right speculation.

Frankly speaking there are tragedies that happen on our lakes, oceans, roads, mountains, skies, everywhere. You can't enforce commen sense or keep "accidents" from occuring. That is why they are called accidents.

IMO even the laws on the books before the speed limit were not going to keep these tragedies from happening. There were too many other circumstances (alochol and other factors) that contributed to these events.

So while we can argue every single example brought up it is impossible to know what would have kept these terrible accidents from occuring. In almost every situation I have ever read about there were multiple infractions and the captain was not excersing commen sense or was not able to clearly control his vessel (BUI). So a speed limit would not stop this, it would have been another charge to add to the pile. So lets please give up this idea that suddenly this new law has brought peace and harmony to the lake.

It is just unfortunate that there are those supporters who clearly believe that the speed limits work and that is their right and opinion and I personally value their insights on the boards. Then there are those who are using the speed limits to push an agenda to ban a specific type of boat from the lake and dare I say it, but unfortunately are doing it as way to avenge the tragic deaths of a friend or family member. They do not care as to the substance of the law but use it as a way to vent their anger towards a specific group and feel as if they are doing it in the name of a purpose or person.

This is unfortunate because it can cloud judgement and the opinions that may be valid of other supporters.

These threads have been serving a purpose of bringing opinions, data and in general people who love the lake together. Most everyone has no agenda and is willing to discuss issues on their own merits and debate them with factual data. No opinion is invalid, but to bash other members with clearly personal attacks, well beyond razzing, should not occur. I personally have choosen not to participate in those or even view many posts that have been nothing but inflametory.

I believe there has been an agenda here from the beginning to try to get these discussions shut down because they do not like the opinions or the majority view of posters. Many tactics have been tried over the past few months, from accustaions, to being a martyer and crying foul hence leaving the threads then returning (over and over again), to flooding them with stories that have no relevance to the lake. All in efforts to turn the threads into a battle field and get them locked down again. Now it appears they are trying for a last ditch effort of constant personal attacks to flame the threads and get completely off the topics and personal in the hopes to have the webmaster shut it down.

My personal suggestion is to please not take the bait for nothing will be accomplished.

Last edited by OCDACTIVE; 11-05-2009 at 09:23 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post: