Thread: Ice thickness
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Cobalt

I went out yesterday with a friend for the first time this season on the Moultonboro Bay side of the lake. This area usually freezes first since it is not pounded by the high winds found out on the broads. I live in an area facing the broads that were wide open less than 2 weeks ago. I would not ride across the broads at this time.

We hit the lake at Camp Tecumseh and it was fast and smooth with about 6 inches of powder which was packed down by other machines. You can access 15 N & S from the lake. We took 15N up to the Castle trails and rode half way over the mountain which would take you to Ossipee. The trails on the Moultonboro side were very smooth with a hard base, but there is not much snow with some icy corners particularly on the mountain which under heavy traffic will wear quickly.

I rode the Andover/Rumney area last year for the first time and feel you will find very different riding conditions around the lake. I am sure some will disagree, but the trails are not as wide or fast with heavy traffic taking its toll on the conditions on the weekends. If you go down to Ossipee, you can take the railroad tracks north or south, but again this is a main corridor with exposed rails at times unless there is plenty of snow.

I would pick up a trail map for the area, and park at the Castle lot unless you plan on riding over from Plymouth along the tracks which will take you to Meredith.

Good luck.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote