View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #27
Purplehayes

Great advice through this thread. I am also a brand new boater on the lake. Spent the weekend taking the boat out for the first time (3 days) to different locations with an experienced lake Winni boater (+ 25 years). So many good practical leanings and takeaways. Biggest ones; 1) Do not trust other boats to know what they are doing or where they are going 2) Specifically, despite knowing right of way rules keep your head on a swivel and expect the unexpected 3) No need for speed - better to get a handle on surroundings and key markers 4) Docking and docking practice is where a large chuck of time needs to be spent. Understanding speed, wind, and throttle sensitivity all a huge deal for me. 5) Mooring - I am on a mooring and similar to docking understanding how to get attached was a huge deal.

All in all a great weekend on a great lake. Hoping to have the same friend with me for most of the summer to keep learning! Also great advice if i can do it, I intend to try and spend time in the middle of a week on the lake just practicing docking. I had an audience a few times at a few locations so definitely had some pressure. Slow and steady... neutral is my friend!

Thanks to all the folks who post great advice on the site.
Purplehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Purplehayes For This Useful Post: