View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #58
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Yeah, lack of timing = questionable word choice. Replace with "swallowed by." Or is it that you're cool with awesome properties that provide priceless experiences to hundreds becoming singular estates? I get that it can happen, but I'll lament it forever. The best thing the US government ever did was create the national park system.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Well if you are concerned with "priceless experiences to hundreds" look no further than the Speedway in Loudon built by the man himself, Bob Bahre.

So if one were to compare the numbers and the people enjoying it, his investments have been a huge net positive, providing enjoyment to hundreds of thousands. Even though he sold the track, and attendance is down, many more people enjoy the track than ever would have gone to camp or a park in Alton.

Furthermore, numerous people enjoy shopping at the Hannaford in Alton that was also built by Bob Bahre. With grocery shopping so much closer, and more affordable for many, those people will have more money and time left over to enjoy the lake.

There are many other examples (One: He bought Oxford Plains Speedway in Maine in 1964) but after providing so much for so many I am glad that Bob Bahre could afford to build the property of his dreams for himself and his family.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: