View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfurbian View Post
Sorry, completely off topic here but searching for info on O'day Daysailer restoration I came across your project. Beautiful work. Would you mind sharing any photos you have of the project?

I am working on a 1966 Daysailer myself, it has been sitting outside for about 30 years without any cover, and the former owner had made a lot of odd modifications so its tough to tell what is what.

There just aren't that many good and detailed visuals on what this boat should look like fully and properly rigged.

Thanks!
Yeah I did that restoration back in 2005\06 of a 1970 DS1 and unfortunately and sad to say I sold the boat in 2011. If I only knew less than a year later I'd be buying a place on the lake I never would have let it go. Anyways... here is the full story w/pics

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=2543

I REALLY miss that boat.

I will tell you the boat I had to work with was in relatively good shape although it did suffer some structural problems I had to address. I also got some info from the guys on the daysailer assoc. forum far as doing some re-enforcement work in key places where I had some minor issues that worried me. I did a lot of fiberglass work on the interior. Anyways it was a fun but labor intensive project.

One recommendation I didn't do, put a tabernacle in the mast - it's no fun trying to set that in place in one piece versus having a hinge setup so you can walk it up and pin it in place.

Good luck and let us all know how you do. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Replacement parts for those boats are readily available too.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote