View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #48
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default About Braun Bay

Hazelnut did a good job with descrbing itinearies for cruising the lake. As for Braun Bay, weekdays are a good time to visit and stay. It gets a bit crowded on weekends and it attract the MP. On weekends, rafting off Timber island, or Patrician Shores are better alternatives.
If you like to do some hiking, visit Stonedam Island. It's a wildlife sanctuary with a nice hike along the shore. Dock space is very limited. Visit the Lakes Region Conservatory trust wesite and there is a list of islands that you can visit.
Visit Alton Bay. The town is known for it's weekend craft fairs and Friday night concerts by the water with firworks.
You mention GPS. You can download a Bizer map into your GPS. If you have a Garmin, there is a Winnipesaukee map on their website.
I have been on the lake since I was a baby. A true Winnipesaukee native. PM me if you want to hookup and ask for more info.

For a little variety, take a day off and launch in lake Winnisquam. There is a popular sand bar and the fishing is superb. A day on Squam Lake is another great fishing lake. Squam Lake is very rocky. A map is a must!

I am a bit upset with all the negative publicity concerning boating on Winnipesaukee. I winter in CO and had many folks ask me what is going on. I have friends in Montana, California and Florida inquiring as well. I'm hoping this will go away but I am afraid it is here to stay and will get worst. Enjoy it while you can.

Most boaters will not patronize SL supporters that are listed on a particular website. Problem is the website refuse to update that list as a number of them have change thier mind and were listed on a defunct website that was more up-to-date. So please use that list with discretion. PM me for more info.

See you on the lake!