View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #131
ApS

Default More Windmills Needed...and Soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
"...Boater, that was a great and thoughtful response..."
It was excellent, and can be read again here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"...Portsmouth has plenty of wind.... overlooking Narragansett Bay...the Sailing Capitol of the world..."
Annapolis, MD, might argue that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"...The town "Voted" to do this project. I voted against..but have since become a supporter..."
This could become a trend.

It's troubling to read that France has nearly 60 Chernobyl-style nuclear plants, but no citizen actually voted for them: popular opinion, though largely favorable to nukes, was driven by Government-paid "Info-mercials".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
"...Electric solar panels that are large enough to power your home and hopefully backfeed the grid are super expensive including all the components to go with them..."
My BIL (the Maytag repairman) did his roof in solar panels in northern California last year. (Doing some of the installation himself). I've emailed for an update, but I recall that his electric meter often runs backwards—and he spends months RV-camping the US during the "hottest" generating periods that peak the grid best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
"...Those of you who like windmills are welcome have them.....but please don't try to tell us that they are harmless to birds..."
1) Huge bird kills were recorded years ago at the newest TV towers, so even our newest digital TV reception has had unintended consequences. (And the number of towers is increasing!)

2) Two recent oil spills off New England's SE coast killed 600 Loons, so even conventional fossil fuel energy doesn't come without bird-loss costs.

3) Logging in May and June accounts for large numbers of lost birds during the breeding season.

4) I've saved even-worse accounts of bird kills, but quite a few are no longer supported on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travaler18 View Post
"...once we run out of oil, its gonna be windmills and sailboats everywhere..."
1) Our Canada and Mexico neighbors are finding new fields, but require more expensive technologies for extraction.

2) We're not going to run out of oil, but we can't $ustain our annual 4% increa$ed u$e of it!

3) Just last week, a sailboat crossed the Atlantic in three days and used no oil. (Hitting 53-MPH ).

The future looks less oil-dependent and, with a planet nearing 7 Billion (7,000-million) people, it's not too soon for wind power, tidal power, solar power and a new look at nuclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
"...So its your kids whom you are likely to be debating next about global warming..."
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
"...You will lose this battle for our children's minds eventually...!"
ETA:
I think member shore things "nailed it" Wednesday morning—at 4:30 AM!

Illustrator Norman Rockwell stepped away from his usual Americana themes to state MY view best in his work titled, "Russian Schoolroom". (Vicariously, that's "me", the student 2nd-from-right).
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 10-28-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: To thank shore-things for this morning's latest observation...