View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #649
ApS

Question Accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...what charges should have been brought against the person mentioned in JustSold's recent post...he hit Rattlesnake hard enough to break bones (if that matters)..."
'Never saw any follow-up articles on that Rattlesnake Island crash. Perhaps the damage didn't exceed the newest NH threshhold of $2000.

If he was badly hurt, he could already have missed the deadline for reporting the injury. (And I wouldn't have felt comfortable reporting it in his place).

(That new $2000 threshhold is a very likely reason we don't read of Jet-Ski "crashes" on this lake, and why "Safety" is improving. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...I hope this wasn't on a clear morning with good visibility...Fog is a very real hazard, both on land and at sea..."
1) New York's Long Island Sound is filled with high-speed automobile ferries, and I don't trust their use of technology.

2) Those ferries are managed by some who are considered among the demographic already scientifically known for poor risk management of selves—those 26 to 34-year-old boaters. They are also the most likely to use "texting". (Already responsible for dozens of fatalities on land).

3) Fog is normally intense on The Sound and can last all day. Fog keeps those who have built on the hills overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee from a morning view of the lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
"...Accidents do happen, even to competent, cautious and sober captains..."
Quote:
"...As always, there are accidents that are just plain accidents, can't really eliminate them..."
Radio traffic announcements use "crashes", "collisions", and "roll-overs".

The word "accident" is mentioned 34 times just on this one page! "Accident" has been over-used: I have an "accident" when I injure myself. Perhaps those who have selected the word "accident" are also perpetual supporters of Senator Kennedy's" accident"—and willingly continue him in office.

Quote:
"...There are countless examples of PWC accidents all over the country every year, no need for more at night...there are many PWC collisions with docks and other boats each year in broad daylight
Some areas of the country prohibit Jet-Ski operation within 300 yards (or even further) from shore. One Florida county prohibits Jet-Skis for 12-miles!

Quote:
"...Perhaps people that go faster concentrate more..."
How about self-preservation?

Bass boats only have about 8 feet of fiberglass ahead of the helm—and not the cocoon of 5-tons to 8-tons of fiberglass we've seen in the collisions with other boats and islands here.

With their vision focused directly forwards—by self-preservation and by boat design—you don't see bass-boaters or Jet-Skiers taking pictures of their wakes. (Or their passengers either, for that matter).

Last edited by ApS; 07-07-2009 at 07:04 AM.