View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I don't get what the big deal is.....

When was the last time your assessment went up? Was it double digits last year? Taxes are inevitable...

Woodsy
Woodsy, in all places where I have owned property, the Assessed values is very close to if not exactly the same as the fair market value of the Property.

The only place I have owned property that is not that way is NH.... The Assessed values have always been higher then the fair market value of the property. For the most part I am willing to take the good with the bad, and don't get fired up about the difference I know is there. But some odd years ago the Assessed values jumped considerably... causing a surge in property taxes while keeping the tax rate the same..... Now here we go again doing the same thing.... effectively raising the take rate but hiding it by higher assessment values.....

This happens all over NH, from what I can tell.... All in an effort to keep that "Tax Free" image....

What I don't like is being told that the value of my property is considerably more then it really is..... If I could sell it for the Assessed value, I wouldn't have an issue, but I know I can't.... and the delta between fair market value and assessed value is now around 200K in my case....

I am guessing that delta means I am paying an addition 1.6K per year in taxes, on a property value that I can't realize.....

I am not looking for my taxes to go down.... I am really after true assessment value.... and truth in Tax Rates..... We should not be see discrepancies like this.....