View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
MikeF-NH

I like the idea of starting kids with an electric trolling motor as a tiller. I use a tiller to move my canoe in the fall and its great for a quiet ride around back waters. The only thing to consider is battery maintenance. You will have to pull that boat each time after use and haul the batteries (which are very heavy) to get them charged. It is something you will have to do for them for several years. The best case scenario is that you have garage space to back the trailer into and you just back it in, connect the charger and let it be. Its not a huge blocker for the purchase but if you have to leave the boat outside....consider picking up those batteries a few times before purchase and envision how you will be charging them. It is the only negative to trolling motors I can imaging in this role.

Remember that you have to register it with electric motors also. Yes, I got a ticket for my small 40# thrust trolling motor on my canoe in November some years back. I don't think there is any age restriction though. That alumacraft is solid and stable and a great fishing platform. Good luck!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote