View Single Post
Old 12-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #43
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Yes Mini splits are basically heat pumps.... The provide a easier way to install a system with out the need for all the duct work etc....

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to set the thermostat lower then 50 degrees....but there could be some reason, I always used 50 or 55 as my threshold when leave my places for periods of time in the winter....

All heat and cooling source of the good and bad qualities, I have always take the stance that I replace what was there when I need to.... With that said my current situation is one where that might change, when I decided to upgrade in the next year... The place is Forced air, with Propane for heat with an A/C addition... I have contemplated, going to a heat pump with propane for a secondary heat source, when the weather is colder... I think 9 months out of the year we would be just fine using the heat pump, but think that for mid. Dec to Mid. March it might be nice to have Propane, so the heat pump isn't in constant use.....

Sorry for the ramble.....
The system won't physically go below 50 that's the lowest it goes. Believe all heat pumps have a higher lower end setting they bottom out at than traditional types of furnaces which can be set at anything. I have to do more reading on the furnace, the paperwork's currently "up there." I believe the person who installed it told me it can jump back and forth between heat pump mode or switch to traditional propane when it senses extreme cold. I need to see if I can find that in the manual when I'm up again.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote