View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #59
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Our saying for last 20 odd years that we've had our own place has been "it's worthless because it will never be for sale". The latest valuation / tax bill is not going down well, this is becoming an expensive hobby if looked at in a clinical cost per weekend / vacation week basis.

We were lucky enough to buy the land / start the long process of building the house before prices went truly crazy and also did a lot of the work ourselves so that part is OK but it's only seasonal access and the gap between island and mainland values is not as big as it once was. There's no way we could do the same thing today at least on Winnipesaukee. I'm sure I'll feel a lot better in a few months when I'm sitting on the dock watching sunsets and visiting with our awesome neighbors.
Our thinking is similar, though I think I'd say "priceless"

We bought 5 years ago, approximately 15 years after we could first afford to do so. For most of those 15 years, we said it would be "ridiculous" to buy--"just think of the awesome family vacations we can fund with the money saved on property taxes" was our reasoning. We only bought when I began to feel my mortality.

So glad we made the "foolish" decision to buy--it's the best money we ever spent, I only wish we had not been so rational in our younger days.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote