View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #168
NoRegrets

Default wel put pm203

Well put pm203.

Even though this world is shrinking, it is still full of places for the human spirit to explore, challenge, or conquer. The human spirit does not like to be constrained by artificial laws but society does need to insure one person’s freedom does not cause REAL harm to others. This is the fine line we are trying to reconcile.

Life can be or should be led in a manor that extends our conscious thoughts beyond the limits of our forefathers. Technical advances should be used to challenge us as adults. Children need to be “awakened’ into this vast world in a stepped process. They will get burned by the stove, skin their knees, fall off the bike, break the car, tip the canoe, run a jet ski into another boat, and so on. We all try our best to “tell’ kids to be careful but they stay invincible until they start getting personal experiences.

I do not think the speed limit for children’s safety is the pivotal point for deciding the SL issue. I also respect BI for his points made but the world should not slow down to the lowest common denominator.

All boats need to respect the 150’ rule and I think the suggestion on running the Marine Patrol for a few months the way VTSteve suggested is brilliant and is high on my list of actionable suggestions.

The density of population utilizing the lake will not return to past levels. Pedestrians do not play in the road like we did in the fifties or sixties anymore! Today’s children learn real fast that they need to go to the skate park or organized areas now. Shame on parents or designated responsible adults for allowing children to be placed in harms way and I think we should all try to find a solution for the Winni camps. They are important because they build memories and experiences away from tv’s and toys. It should be part of our social responsibility to make this happen.

As far as trying to file boneheads and presenting it to the politicians, I am afraid of them. They may outlaw boats altogether!

Sorry for rambling on but I am closing down so I can join the weekend commuters and head to the lake. Hope to see many of you out there this weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post: