View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #137
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I can tell you the exact moment when I knew Winnipesaukee needed a speed limit. I was taking to the director of a non-profit children's camp on the lake and he told me he could not let his small boats go out on the lake on certain days because of the lakes cowboy atmosphere. I have subsequently spoken to other camp directors on the lake that said much the same thing.

Reason number two is that as a former NH camp director I support the New Hampshire's Camp Directors Association endorsement of speed limits.

I have other reasons for supporting a speed limit, but the ones above are all I need.
Well those are pretty fine reasons, on the surface. I'm sure they probably appreciate the lower traffic on the lake as a whole this year. I certainly remember you mentioning the camps and their safety issues at length many times. A lot of the discussions morphed into NWZ violations, not to mention 150' violations. Many of us thought it was not only prudent, but based on your observations and others, necessary, that the NWZ be expanded, and that a larger safety zone be installed in those areas.

My guess is that some violations will occur still, and that it will be back to normal when summer returns, with a multitude of boats. Congestion always brings problems with it. If some of the more vocal SL proponents are correct, many of their friends will be back on the lake again, now that they say it's safer.

It's always more important to go with the best solutions, not the favored answer. Sounded like an enforcement problem then, and my guess is, it will continue to be an enforcement problem in the future. You have a webcam there, ever stream it to the MP?