View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Our boys go to a private catholic K-8 school on the seacoast. They start after Labor Day, and seem to get out before all of the other schools around. They still have the same state mandates for number of days in session, plus have the catholic holidays that public schools don't take.
My school starts before Labor Day. To get in the required 180 days, have the week or so off around Christmas, a February and April vacation, take Federal Holidays, and have a plan to make up snow days (Blizzard bags are being explored and probably adopted but I want to be sure the work is meaningful and not busy work just to check off a box), we either start before Labor Day or risk getting out in late June. Last year nearby schools who started after Labor Day went until the last week in June while we were out almost a week sooner. In my experience far more learning takes place in September as opposed to June.

Here in Mass Catholic and independent schools are not required to be in session for 180 days. Instead, they answer to their accrediting bodies. Some choose to follow the public school calendar while others do not.

I also have to add that teachers come back two days before the students so at least here, we are not starting before Labor Day to accommodate them.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote