View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #124
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
I understand that your dock is located in a congested section of the lake. I understand that you get tired of hearing boats throttling up in front of your house. I understand that you don't like performance boats, because they are loud. I understand that you would be happier if those boats were no longer on the lake because it would reduce the noise pollution in your area. Those are all valid points to why you don't like performance boats, I get it. But just leave it a that, they don't cause more land erosion than other boats, cruisers do. So why not just stick to the main reasons that you support a speed limit on the lake. To get loud fast boats off the lake. You propose a HP limit to try to get the cruisers off the lake. I can understand that reasoning, and can respect that. I don't think that enactment of a speed limit is going to accomplish as much as you think. Because if speed limits do truly make the lake safer, then wouldn't it be logical that more boaters will feel it is safe to go out increasing the boat traffic. Which in turn causes more wakes, causing more land erosion. I understand your point of view, I just don't agree with it. And I thank you, because I learned something new this week about how a boat wake, wakes.

I'm sorry, but you have several of those things wrong. I do not dislike performance boats, their sound, their look, or their speed. Personally I like speed, and the sound of a powerful engine. Some performance boats are beautiful, like the pirate boat that often passes our place.

However I see the lake getting out of control. Water quality is going down, kayakers afraid to go out on the water, my son's camp having to limit lake activities. Something has to change, we are going in the wrong direction.

Do you believe the directors of the camps HATE performance boats? Why do you assume my motives are not the same as theirs?

I spent 15 summers as a waterfont director, camp director or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. I look at the lake and I see a problem I think I must do something about. However it's easier for you to assume that I just "hate performance boats". Its the easy answer, but wrong and unfair.

I hope you are wrong about the effects of a speed limit. I think it will help, at least a little.