View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 AM   #36
ApS

Red face That's The Post Office Next to the Pope Dam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFP View Post
I have no memories, myself, of the Hansel and Gretel store, but because so many of you do, wouldn't it be wonderful for Kit Wright to get some cards and notes telling her how she added to the joy of your childhood? I'm sure it would mean a lot to her.
Does anyone have the address for her?
No memories of Hansel and Gretel Shop, either, and no excuse—Grandmother lived just up the street! Between Grandmother's house, "Hull's Camp" and "Shore Acres", we had many wonderful summers in Melvin Village. Grandmother used to press a nickel into my hand, and had me walk down to the Marion-Horner-Robie Post Office to buy a stamp. Now that I think about it, that nickel might have bought my Grandmother 45 minutes of peace.

My Dad's childhood was spent in the same house as well. His name is included with other Tuftonboro WWII servicemen, and cast in bronze in front of the Tuftonboro Library. Dad was interred just up the hill from there, the service hosted by a contingent of U.S. Navy servicemen with a Commander (officer) in charge.

You would've passed my Grandmother's house as you left The Hansel and Gretel Shop heading towards Moultonborough. This photo, taken about 1920, shows the house—which was already 110 years old when they'd bought it. Roll a golf ball across the floor in a certain direction, and it would return to you.

About eight years ago, my Dad and I were looking over the lakeside church cemetery, recalling names on the tombstones, when a red one-ton truck drove up. Recognizing a familiar face, we learned that the driver's parents, surnamed Williams, had sold that house to my Grandparents!

Otherwise, my only connection to The Hansel and Gretel Shop is that I graduated from Brewster Academy with the Wright's (still) gorgeous daughter.

Last edited by ApS; 03-16-2019 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Change Lieutenant to Commander, time for record
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote