Thread: nav. charts
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
MAXUM -- we have the 53CV, which I think is essentially the same thing in a different package.

The "Stock" Chart is at best "okay" a lot of missing spars-- it will get you around the Lake in a pinch-- but we didn't like the lack of detail so opted to get the detailed LakeVu ULTRA SD card ( from Watermark Marine) as we are frequent night boaters.

After the upgrade -- AWESOME !!

It does take some time getting use to the functions/ controls … it was not as simple and intuitive as previous Garmin's we have had.

Very first tip is to dig deep into the menu settings and find (god knows how I tripped on it) the setting to ENLARGE the map view print/font to maximum -- this will allow reading the actual FL numbers and surprisingly all Black-Red Tops are associated with a number as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/576160

So did some checking on this, Garmin just released their G3 maps... also the preloaded maps can be updated online - in fact it's pretty easy to do with the unit I got since it has built in WIFI can hook it up to my phone and download the latest updates on the fly. I assume they all work the same.

Since you already bought the "premo" maps probably doesn't matter per say but I believe even the ones on the SD cards can be regularly updated. I'll probably be fine with the preloaded maps - the only time I'll be out in that boat after dark is going back and forth from Island to Mainland and I can do that pretty much blind. In fact I did that a couple times at night in the fog which was a bit sketchy... this would have been a nice to have! It's amazing how messed up you can get at night!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: