View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #418
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
While beautiful it’s WAY to big for the Glendale docks and will cause damage. The docks are not built to handle boats of that size. I believe Glendale has a 30’ limit on boat size at the docks. That boat is way bigger than that at 48’!!

Do you know if this is an islander Steve?

Dan
Disagree. I think the docks can handle larger boats from a structural point of view. When they were first built with pre-stressed concrete, (ca. 1960?) there was a lot of commercial activity in Glendale. The big pilings at the ends are certainly less convenient for smaller boats. Cars and trucks could drive out on all three docks. That was much easier when I had a car load of stuff to unload. The Bear and the Camp from Camp Lawrence and Camp Nokomis were regulars for supplies and campers on "change days". That continued when they went to one larger boat (The Bear) for many years. Islanders who use Glendale instead of a rented/owned slip someplace started lobbying for more restricted use and the BOS eased the commercial users out over time. As I recall the 30' limit started only for commercial boats.
Scroll back on this thread and you will see pix that Steve posted of a beautiful 35' boat that is a regular. More recently there was an attempt to extend 30' to all boats, and then the TM backed off a little to allow those with larger boats to pick up, drop off, mail, trash, guests, etc. In the picture of the Gypsy, it looks like she is backed in with her bow extended so she is not using more that about 25-30 feet of dock. Very polite and considerate.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote