View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #31
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Our Welch island camp assessment went up 8.1% and the tax rate went down 6.9% so our tax bill is up by a modest amount. Of course the tax on our modest island camp in Gilford is 2 times the tax on our pretty nice house in Alton. The difference between a spendthrift town and a frugal town.

If the Gilford net valuation went up 14.6 % I am wondering who got hit really hard. Mainland water front? Commercial property?
The 2018 tax rate in Alton was $13.99 and in Gilford $17.04, a $3.05 difference, about 20%. So most of 2 times the tax cost is coming from a greater value of your "modest island camp", not necessarily a spendthrift town.

I used to have 2 houses in NH, a small, older ranch in Moultonborough and a house in Hudson that was brand new, 4 times the size, a two car garage, and an inground pool. The Moultonborough house was valued at TWICE the Hudson house. Yet the Hudson tax rate was almost 3 times that of Moultonborough so I paid more taxes in Hudson. The combined property valuation of both towns in 2018 was about $3 billion. Hudson paid 5 times the local school rate per 1000 and twice as much municipal.

Everything is relative and lake property valuation is a major driver in the the tax paid. A small house on the lake is worth a lot more than a big, nice house off the lake. The number of students in the school system has a big impact on the local school tax portion.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote