View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
ApS

Exclamation Save that Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
This is a no-brainier, have it checked out and amend date of mfg as fiberglass did not exist then. The cost of an appraisal is nothing compared to a potential disaster.
The "advanced" 1953 Chevy Corvette had a fiberglass body—which actually followed fiberglass construction in boats.

By the 1980s, boat manufacturers had figured out how much fiberglass to leave off.

There's a good chance the wood that makes up the transom has been compromised. I'd move the boat about three feet back on the trailer, take a reciprocating saw to the damaged area, remove everything that looks like damaged wood, and build the area back up with lots of fiberglass mat and cloth. I'd cut away about three times the area that appears cracked.

What you have "repaired" there appears to be Marine-Tex, a substitute for gelcoat, used to make cosmetic repairs. Like gelcoat, there's very little strength to it.

Use epoxy resin, as it is odorless and very strong.

Sand smooth and fair, and use paint to match. Don't bother with gelcoat, as it's expensive, and too difficult to match color—even with white.

You'll have spent about $300 to save this old boat.

As for sideway pictures, be sure you've hit "save" when working with photos.

Last edited by ApS; 11-02-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Marine-Tex comment
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote