View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #44
Grant

Re: AAA in the Wolfeboro area...

In late September, I was headed up to help my dad close up his place, and as I passed through the heart of downtown Wolfeboro, my 2001 Hyundai with 130,000 miles (intrepid commuter rig...it's been everywhere), started acting up. By the time I got to the top of the hill heading out of town, she could go no more, so limped into the parking lot of the (former) Lakeview Motel and called AAA.

They dispatched a local tow truck within a half hour, and the guy asked where I wanted to go. Having been REALLY lucky over the past 20+ years (last NH breakdown was in Hudson, NH @ 5 pm on a Friday...and I lucked out then, too), I wasn't sure where to go, but my family had used Trite's, and the driver had heard good things, so we went there. It's the facility that used to be Miller Chevy/GM down near the old Allen A...so they have ample repair bays and a really well-trained staff. Nice folks.

Trite's diagnosed the issue(s) quickly, repaired it quickly and completely, and did so at a reasonable price. They've won my return business (I have three cars, all with 130,000+ miles...), so chances of a return trip are pretty good.

AAA+ membership worked well this time, but I have had another experience that was not so good. One evening a few years ago, Senter Cove Guy & I returned to his house after a day of diving. While loading my gear (in the same Hyundai), I somehow locked my keys in the trunk of the car. (Don't ask.) After failing to open it with the old bent coat hanger, I called AAA, and was told they could not dispatch anyone until the next afternoon. Seeing as I had to be at work 420 miles away the next morning, this was not an option.

So I broke the little back vent window with a hammer and drove around with a plastic bag duct-taped over the hole for a few months. Then I had AAA auto glass come to my office and replace the window while I was at work, so AAA got paid again anyway.

Anyway -- I know Trite's does tires as well, as my dad purchased some there.