View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I am about to post a topic that could quickly spiral into an ideological contest of particular candidates or political views. But I would ask that all resist the urge to tunnel into those topics and instead keep the topic at the generic level: specifically discussing the pros, cons, and views of roadside political signs, regardless of the party or candidate.

(Webmaster: if this does spiral into political demagoguery, please feel free to delete quickly)

This week, while driving the stretch of Rt. 28 between Alton and Wolfeboro, I noticed that one candidate’s supporters have installed at least 100+ roadside signs along the way. The signs are in clusters of 6-10, every half mile or so. I find this interesting and annoying on many levels;
  • I believe that the placement of the majority of the signs is in violation of NH law, albeit one commonly overlooked. Namely, New Hampshire law (RSA 664:17). It states that campaign signs should not be placed on either private or public property (including highway rights-of way) without the consent of the land owner, and they are not allowed on state highway rights-of-way.
  • Given many of these are clearly on state-owned land or ROW’s, I find it hard to believe that permission was requested or granted. Why would I want to vote for someone who doesn’t follow our laws?
  • Many of these areas are filled with litter (over and above the signs themselves…my view). If those placing the signs can’t take the time to pick up the area while they are planting their signs, why would I want to vote for them?
  • Given the NH political season stretches into Feb/March, it’s a given these signs will be buried in snow and ice that will not see the light of day until April. This will make it difficult for them to remove them within a week after the election is over (another RSA), at which point they become litter that will use our tax dollars to clean up. See vote questions above.
  • I’ve always wondered about the voters who might be swayed by a roadside sign. While the occasional lawn posting may make me think about researching a candidate further before entering the voting booth, is anyone really swayed by seeing the same sign a dozen times in 100 yards? If so, do we really want them voting? ;-)
While a lot of this is clearly posted tongue in check, I am curious to know if others are as annoyed as I am by the blooming signage during the (seemingly never-ending) political season.

I was really put over the edge during the last election when a neighbor plastered his lakefront with these signs. I had to view them every time I came into dock, rather than enjoying the normal beauty of our shoreline and the Lakes Region.

No politician ever received my vote due to roadside signage, though some have lost it as a result. How effective can they be versus the downside of litter, ugly vistas, and cost?

What do others think?
Merry meeting: I haven't been up that stretch of road in quite a while so I don't know which candidate is represented on the signs you reference. However, my guess is that this is a candidate/party you don't support. Thus, the signs are extra annoying to you. Am I correct?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: