View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #29
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
It's installed but not fired up yet. I'll post a bit more detail when it's running. But there is one last step I didn't have the right tool for (adapter). So it should be running this weekend I hope.

Basically you have to pump the lines dry. The MrCool mini splits come (optionally) with lines that are prepurged with quick connects. And MrCool charges an extra $300 for them. They are the only company that sell it that way. Without the prepurged lines you have a few choices. There is a cheap solution called Kwik-e-vac. It's basically a small can of nitrogen (kind of like fix-a-flat) for $30.00. Or you can buy a cheap pump $70 and a vac gauge. You pump it down and just let it sit. Still cheaper than buying the purged lines set. And if you have a leak you can fix it. I ordered BOTH to be extra sure (that's what some pro's would routinely do, flush with nitrogen then pump).

I take any project like this as an opportunity it learn something even if I break even on doing it myself vs paying someone.

What you have to be careful is, it will probably "work" no matter what you do. The question is how long will it "work" If you screw up, the system is contaminated and will deteriorate quickly.

So money wise. It was $1200.00 with $900 rebate for 18K BTU (or $1400 with $1100 rebate for 24K BTU). Plus you either spend $300 on the upgraded MrCool version or buy the tools to purge it ($50 to $300 depending on how picky you want to be). Note also all these non "Big name" units are all the SAME unit. The Ductless Air unit I got is EXACTLY the same as the MrCool.

I have a wrap around covered porch and under the deck is open and covered with lattice. I decided to put the outdoor unit under that deck. It was either a brilliant idea or a really stupid one, not sure which yet. You can't stand up under that deck (approx 4ft).
Any chance you have the height and width dimensions handy? I can't seem to locate them on HD's website. I currently have an old wall mounted A/C that could use an upgrade...along with offsetting my electric baseboard heat. Seems like a perfect opportunity here. Also looks like the price has come down on the 24k version. Thanks!