View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #46
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
I've lived in NH since 1959. Yesterday my wife and I took a ride to Gilford and was disgusted to see all the homes that are now on the sides of the mountains along the way. The whole area around the lake is being ruined from all the homes being built in areas that actually brought character to the region. Course most people in that area now don't know the difference.
I would agree that the view of the mountains, especially from out on the lake, was much nicer when it was all trees and no homes. The struggle is: What do you tell all the landowners who have built or wish to build on the mountainside?

If you were to enact legislation now to prevent any future development it would severely devalue the property it affected. I would think the the land owners would have a cause of action to recover the amount of the diminished value.

If a family held a mountainside plot of land for the last 100 years, intending to develop it at some point, how do you take their dream away?

I have no skin in the game but even if the majority was to want development curtailed I think it is too late to prevent future building on view lots.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote