View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I bought a boat last winter that was stored inside at Irwin Marine. This year we were hoping to do the same, but apparently Irwin has rented out all their indoor space already.

Being new to this: what are the downsides to outside storage? Are there other marinas with inside space you recommend?

Thank you kindly!
The biggest downside to outside storage is shrink wrapping. If not done right damage will occur. It is imperative that the shrink wrap extends below the waterline of the boat to avoid rub marks from the wind vibrating the wrap against your hull. Many places do not do it this way to save a couple bucks on plastic or they simply do not know. My boat was severely damaged last year because of this at a very well respected storage facility. I had actually requested inside storage and unknown to me my boat was stored outside and wrapped. I had around 20 bad rub marks into the gel coat when I picked it up in the spring. I had John Spooner of Diamond Shine work his magic and it looks like new again...

Dan