Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #40
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
I hate to break it to you but it's a common and mistaken belief that High Octane fuel will provide you with more power. The high octane gas contains more "knock inhibitors" to prevent pre ignition in higher compression engines which have the potential to make more HP. Those knock inhibitors take up "space" in the gallon of gasoline that would otherwise contain hydrocarbons that contain energy. Essentially a gallon of 91 contains fewer BTU's (energy) than a gallon of 87. Most small equipment engine manufacturers specifically recommend against higher octane fuel as it gives poorer performance than "regular".
Thanks for the info. My gas container only holds one gallon of gasoline so's I should use it in the Subaru and go get a real non-ethanol single gallon from that 603-Gas in M-boro, tomorrow, after this snow storm is done for the snowblower and possibly the lawn mower & weed-wacker. Thinking a one gallon container will keep it more fresh than a larger container.

With 12" snow forecast, is smart to get out there and do the driveway ahead of the storm, before the snow falls ....... duh!!!!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2022 at 10:40 AM.