View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #23
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
As of last Friday October 1st, the NH meals, hotel and car rental tax has actually been reduced from 9 to 8.5%. This is real Republican tax reform, smashing the meals tax down to 8.5% ..... ho-ho-ho-ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho ! ... and this is about all the state tax reform that NH will ever get ... big deal, one half of one percent off the meals tax!

Anyway, so much for my theatrics, and with regard to the original first post in this thread, I believe the location for proposed townhouses on Upper Ladd Hill Rd and Daniel Webster Hgwy is behind the Meredith roundabout, and behind the Northway Bank. It is a lot that used to have a small single family house that was demolished not too long ago by the former owner to make it easier to sell as a commercial lot so the former owner probably was very happy to complete his sale to the new townhouse developer. This lot probably has access to town water and maybe town sewer(?) as well.
The one behind Ippolito's? There were a couple up there. My brother rented the one behind Ippolito's (owned by the Ippolito's) in the late 90s. I can't remember if it had city sewer/water, but I believe the water tower was just up the mountain, so I believe that road should have water/sewer access.

Slowly moving the tax rates around to stay competitive with other States.
For BPT/BET, the competition is against the other 49 States. NH used to talk of the NH Advantage - which was a tax/energy rate advantage over Mass - but manufacturers in the US generally now think in East-West or Quad format.
NH will not be the lowest East of the Mississippi, but is attempting to be the lowest on those in the Northeast.

For the Meals & Rental, Vermont is at 9%, Maine is at 8%, and Mass is at 6.25%. People aren't likely to travel to more than the surrounding State - if they are even close to a border - to safe the difference; so the change only has to be very subtle on that rate and can be lowered over time.
The bigger argument is over the distribution of the revenue proceeds.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote