View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #18
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
While I appreciate very much the Marine Patrol reminder, it seems like enforcement of this law is based on the whimsical nature of an individual boat and the wind and current of the day, something that is impossible for an individual patrol officer, on the spot, to know. That reduces the law mostly to an officer's opinion of "I know excessive wake when I see it". It also creates a difficult defence for a boater. How can I prove that the current was such, and the wind was that, and enumerate all the characteristics of my boat that "required" me to travel at the speed I was to maintain steerage?

Further, are you going to take up court time and legal costs to fight what might be an unreasonable but essentially trivial ticket?

I also suspect that enforcement may be limited to egregious situations as to not make the law a nuisance to boaters, similar to the leeway most officers extend for speeding in cars.

I know this has been discussed and opinions are all over the place. Just my opinion.
I think I have to respectfully disagree.

I have seen what I believe to be countless abusers of no-wake zones and its not too hard to tell who is working to keep their boat under control and who is just looking to blow through the zone and hammer the throttle at the first chance.

And I feel that I must also state that I dont see it as a trivial matter. When other boats are around, pushing their speed up to as much as they can get away with creates a tense situation and potential danger to others.

Its hard enough in some areas to navigate no wake zones, but having others cranking up their speed for no reason makes it that much harder.

Others will disagree, but this is my observation and experience.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: