View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 02:29 AM   #59
CooperS7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Today's April 11 www.wmur.com has a short video report "Dog belonging to woman found dead in Ossipee Lake recovered by Fish and Game" that reports the dog, a German shepherd was found by the NH F&G yesterday, Saturday April 10, using a remote underwater apparatus operated from a boat up on the surface of the lake.

Is astounding to me that a German shepherd could not save itself by using its dog survival skills to get itself out of the iced over lake. The German shepherd is a very capable breed, have a lot of endurance and ability to survive in water that's 34-degrees, cold, for a lot longer than a person.

With all four legs to put to use, couldn't it place the front legs up on the ice, and swim kick itself up and onto the more safe ice and struggle its way back.
If her GSD was anything like ours, it probably passed trying to save her. If we are swimming off the dock and I decide to play dead, our shepherd goes nuts barking for about 30 seconds before he's in the water coming for me full tilt. I have zero doubt that he would exhaust himself trying to get to us or get us out of the water if it came to that.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote