Thread: Citizen Website
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
They are not alone in charging for on-line news. Foster's Daily Democrat allows 3 free reads per day, Concord Monitor is hit and miss whether you can read a particular article or not, Boston Globe: you cannot even check out the obituaries without a subscription, just to name a few.

In all three of these, the rationale put out by the publishers is that paper edition circulation has gone down with the readiness of online editions, and that those who do not have computers should not be penalized by having to pay for the paper where the online was free.

While I enjoy "reading the newspapers" over my morning coffee, I do understand the need for subscriptions. Eventually, I will have to decide which paper(s) I want to subscribe to, based on content and cost. In the short term, it will be LDS and some others that remain free.

The internet is free once you get connected, it is the content on the internet that may or may not be free.
Upthesaukee:

The Boston Globe's website is a bit confusing but there is a free component to it which includes the Obituaries. Click on Boston.com and when the website pops up go to the top left hand conner, then instead of clicking "today's paper" click the "news" button just to the right of "today's paper". This will bring up a number of articles/sections of the paper that are free including the Obituaries. Good Luck.

Another trick that I have learned is that if you go to a website that requires a subscription, you can often circumvent this requirement by typing the exact title of the article and the name of the paper in Goggle and the single article will be accessible in search results. I often do this with Barrons. The only paper that this feature doesn't seem to work on is the Boston Globe.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: