View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.... ok ..... so it actually pays for a NH state registration as well as a federal documentation ..... or something ... both, at the same time?

.... but .... still, no sales tax and no local property tax on this yacht ....... so's the local kindergarten class has 31 children in the same room ..... at least there's a kindergarten class .... only six states out of 50 have no sales tax

.... the 'NH Advantage!' ... an appropriate name for a 58.1' yacht that costs something like 1.5 million dollars, or more?
Federal documentation and state registration are two entirely different things and governance of them is handled separately. From the state's perspective any vessel that qualifies to be federally documented is optional or better put the state doesn't say you have to federally document it but you damn sure better have a valid NH registration.

You didn't pay attention to the part I stated far as the "sales tax" - like a new car a new boat has a graduated fee schedule so you are paying substantially more to register a new boat over the first 4 years of ownership than the base registration fee. So in this case this boat would have a base annual registration "fee" of $293.00 if it is over 4 years old, but since it is new the boat fee is $1761.40 in the first year. In year 2 of ownership that fee drops to $1174.40, year three $880.80 and year four $587.20. Therefore if the owner has this boat for 4 years since new a total of $4,403.80 is paid out in "fees" to the state. Now the state calls this a fee I call it a back door sales tax of a different name. What ever you choose to call it, buying a boat under 4 years old is not "free".

If you are dying to pay a sales tax FLL add up all the stuff you buy multiply it by say 5% and send a check to the state. Yeah that even includes the junk you get at the local thrift shop too. Don't hold back.... for me yeah I'll pass they get enough from me but I encourage you to give them as much as you want.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote