View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #45
ApS

Exclamation Incivility — "Word for the Day"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Behavior in our society is more likely influenced by Hollywood then by Washington...
View the last quote on this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
By narrow decision I simply meant that the Supreme Court left undecided whether a business owner’s religious or free speech rights can justify denying service. Justice Kennedy's decision focused on the religious bias of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission. It was a victory for the baker, but does not set precedent for other business owners to deny service based solely on religious beliefs. As to either of the business owners here, the baker or the restaurant owner, chasing down and berating the customer, again, I have not heard or read about that. Protestors after the fact, yes, but not the owners. Perhaps I am wrong. I believe that all people, black, white, gay, straight, liberal, conservative, etc. should be welcome everywhere. If, however, anyone acts inappropriately, he or she should be held accountable.
It was the "Resistance" waitstaff (an "entitled" vocal minority) that called the Red Hen owner at home; unfortunately, she sided with the waitstaff!

Washington Post rightfully raises the legal issue of "discrimination due to sexual orientation".

(Which should work both ways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I respectfully disagree and will say that my understanding of the Supreme Court decision was very narrow and does not give blanket permission to refuse to serve someone based on religious beliefs. Instead, it found that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was hostile toward the baker based on his religious beliefs. Both business owners respectfully declined to serve someone, and in my opinion, both were wrong. I have not heard that either owner was hostile toward the customer - protestors after the fact certainly were.

I do agree with an earlier poster who said civility is declining. But, this remains simply my opinion on a forum that focuses on one of the greatest places I know.
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Yes its absurd to think that Hollywood or the entertainment industry could influence people away from civility. What movie introduced the word "dude" to replace sir?
Ready to put a Hollywood name to that?

(Language Warning in Boston link below—not a video).

https://tinyurl.com/yb42nyll