View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
Woodsy

I tend to agree with Upthesaukee... This thread isn't about HB-162. I don't think its all that easy to get a persons sense of humor when reading it on a forum.

This injured person was somebody's son, somebody's friend. It is an accident. Hopefully he will be alright.

I am not disparaging this poor guy. However, I don't think speed was the primary issue here, any more than it was with the Hartman accident. The issue here was AIS (Alcohol Induced Stupidity).

1. The guy was drinking with friends at the bobhouse (no harm or foul there)

2. The individual gets the bright idea he wants to drive the snowmobile after having a few drinks. (not saying he was legally intoxicated) He has little to no experience driving a snomobile. (1st clue that AIS has started)

3. The individual does not put on a helmet (2nd clue that AIS is happening)

4. The individual then starts the sled (3rd clue that AIS is happening)

Here is where AIS hits full blown proportions...

5. The individual decides to actually drive the snowmobile with no helemt and very little to no experience. (Full blown AIS)

6. The individual while in the process of driving the snowmobile, loses control and crashes... causing severe injury to himself and totaling the snowmobile. (the result of AIS)

In the scenario above there were 5 different opportunities for the individual to stop and think about his course of action. 5 chances not to do something stupid. This same scenario is repeated every day by drunk drivers. Its not the speed at which they drive... its the fact that they are driving under the influence of AIS.

Woodsy