View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default Registration transfer to new owner

I have a question about registration and transferring ownership to new owner. I bought a Boston Whaler from my neighbor. I was given a Bill of sale and their current 2020 registration. I went to our local marina to transfer ownership from the seller to me. The marina said no problem and processed the paperwork. Then I was asked to pay for the registration. I discovered that I was paying for a new 2020 tag and registration. The same amount of money as the previous owner paid back in April when they registered the boat for the new 2020 boating season. I was also given new red 2020 tags to be put on the boat bow. But wait....the season is just about over. You are asking me to pay as if I was registering the boat for the 2020 season. I'm taking the boat out of the water and putting it in storage. The season is over for this boat. Why am I being asked to pay for a full season that just ended?

I was told that is just the way it is....! What?? I have always bought boats from local marinas and have never had to pay a full years registration at the end of a boating season.

What am i missing...? Is this the way it is....or is the very nice clerk at the marina has it wrong? Help me understand the double dipping by the state.

Then I called the NHMV......

I tried calling the NHMV to ask the same question this morning. I called at 9:00 AM and was told I was 10th in line. At 9:15 I was 9th in line. At 9:30 I was 8th in line. At 9:45 I was still 8th in line. OK I give up... hung up...!
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote