View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Beautiful boat. I LOL when I saw your post above about searching for C-Shels? I have been watching them now for a couple of years on YouTube. There was a recent interview Q&A with them on THESHIPSLOGG.BLOGSPOT.COM titled Leaving Land Behind.

I've been working on my wife to get her to buy into the idea of selling the house and moving on-board and traveling but she can't seem to get her head around it.

I would like to see your boat when you get her home, maybe it could convince my wife to make the move.

Although we love the lake, My heart has always been on the ocean and the ability to travel anywhere you desire.

Best of Luck and I hope you post about your adventures.
We would love to have you aboard. Please ping me if I forget to invite you.

We picked the Tolly 44 as our next boat about 4 years ago, but were not ready to buy just yet and continued to trailer-cruise our Regal in the mean time. About three years ago, while researching for the Golden Triangle* cruise that we took last year in the Regal, I stumbled upon some older videos that Cindy and Sheldon made on their own Golden Triangle cruise aboard their Tolly34, which were really helpful. 2 hours of youtube later, I discovered that they had bought our dream boat and not only that, we stayed in the same marina and ate in the same restaurant less than a week apart in Solomons on Chesepeake Bay in May 2016. They were on their way home having just bought the Tolly and we were cruising our Regal on northern Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac (which is great fun).

* Golden Triangle Cruise is a wonderful 450ish mile loop:

1000 Islands-Ottawa via the Rideau Canal
Ottawa-Montreal via the Ottawa River
Montreal to 1000 Islands via the St Lawrence River

We had always planned to get a live aboard boat, but the long cruises we did over the last 3 years sealed the deal and accelerated the plans rapidly. After spending 17 days straight (our longest cruise to date) last year on our 25 foot cuddy and loving every minute of it, we just knew it was time to pull the trigger and buy a Tolly 44 to live on. Time will tell if it was the right thing to do...

If you have a boat you can sleep on and the means to move it around, I strongly recommend that you take your wife on a multi-day cruise and see how it goes. Winnipesaukee is wonderful, but it's such a drag to not be able to go on a multi-day adventure, staying in different places every night. If you've never done a cruise like that, I can assure you that you will be hooked, it really is special.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote