View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #29
MeredithMan

Default Think like a Dog....

Disclaimer: I am a man, and it is very easy for a man to think like a dog....eating, sleeping, chasing girls, and playing catch...pretty much sums up the priorities for a man and a dog...

Seriously, though, being charged by a dog can be very un-nerving, (it's happened to me, and probably to many on this forum), so I'm sure it spooked you. However, it is in the DNA of all dogs...even the most docile ones....to protect their property and their master / family. I have a 13 year old Golden and she is an old cream puff, but she will bark and be on guard if anyone comes by our yard.

By kicking the charging dog or yelling at it, it merely confirms to the dog that you are indeed a threat. This is especially true if the dog is one of the more protective breeds. It also pisses off the other dog owner who sees you kicking and yelling at his dog. A more effective strategy is to remain calm and still and extend your hand so the dog can sniff you and realize that you mean no harm. I have done this and it works. Is there a chance the dog will still attack you? Yes, but less of a chance than if you start kicking him and yelling at him.

Maybe the specific homeowner and dog in this case are in fact nasty. I don't know. I do know that people, (and dogs), make mistakes and should be given the benefit of the doubt and calling the cops and burning dog poop on their lawn is generally a bit extreme.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote