View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
NoBozo

Default Update

OK: I live about an hour away from Mystic Seaport and we are members ..so we can go in for free anytime. We went today..this time I took my camera.

We went to the boat shed again to have another look at Nellie. (The first propeller driven steamer on the lake). I took some nice close ups of the prop..and the way it was fastened to the shaft. The pictures were closer than RGs....but only confirmed what I had suspected. The Nellie has a modern propeller with a double nut retention. Nothing that will shed light on the propeller retention on the Seneca...IF SHE was actually a screw driven steamer.

I took a couple of pictures of a work boat propeller (Small Tugboat)...........still nothing to shed light on the Seneca question.

The Sabino, a functioning screw steamboat operated by the Museum for "Rides"..is over by the lift dock now..still in the water. I'm wondering if she will be hauled out at some point during the winter.

The LA Dunton..(1920s Grand Banks fisherman..schooner) is OUT on the lift dock...so maybe the Sabino won't come out.

We go down to the Museum every few weeks as part of a Sunday Ride..all winter.

Below....THIS is the prop on the Nellie.
It's double nutted..with a nut and shaft designed for a cotter pin..the cotter pin is missing. OH Well.....It's a modern shaft and prop. NB
Attached Images

NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post: