View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #95
Woodsy

I think your going to see a very quiet (pun intended) numbers wise boating season...

The economy is in shambles, unemployment is at levels not seen since the early 80's and the government is printing & spending money faster than the ink can dry. Have we bottomed out yet? We might be getting close to the bottom, but we are not there yet.... then we are gonna bounce and have the inflation issue to deal with.... Prime @ 9.5%? Its coming!

While the few, and I mean FEW big Hi-Po boats that wont be on the lake won't be missed by the general public. You can bet they will be missed by some of the businesses on the lake. In this economy every $$ counts, even more so if your livelyhood depends on a a seasonal business.

Go ask the Naswa if they are going to miss the OuterLimits Factory crew this summer... 10+ guys, 5 rooms, and god only knows how much money they spend on food & drink entertaining thier clients.... just a small sample, but those guys came up 2-3 weekends a summer.

It was touted during the GREAT SPEED LIMIT DEBATE and most recently by others in this thread, that the lack of Hi-Perf boats would make the lake safer and thus more Average Joe family boaters would be more likely to visit Lake Winni. They might have had a valid point except the economy took a nosedive...

Average Joe the family boater is worried... worried about his job, worried about his house, worried about taxes, worried about paying his bills, worried about the price of gas. Luxuries like summers on the lake are being shortened to weekends or daytrips and in some cases tossed out all together.

Where is the Average Joe going to put his boat in the water? Park his trailer? Ames Farm is closed because of a neighbor dispute, there is no public launch in Laconia, You need to be a resident of Gilford to use Glendale, and Meredith has a very small ramp and charges a fee...

and FLL was right on with the weather... bad economy and bad weather would be a disaster for the seasonal business....

Woodsy

PS: I cant believe i just agreed with FLL on something! I better go get a $1 McChicken!