View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #86
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
Here's an idea...how about postponing the start of the two years of the current speed limit until the recession is over? I almost hate to suggest it, because I know that some folks will try to leverage this into killing the law altogether, but this might make sense all the way around.
This speed limit bill is supposed to be about safety. If safety is such a problem on the lake, postponing the implementation of a speed limit based on economic downturn is a very bad idea. Safety doesn't care about how much money people have to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater View Post
When this law is reconsidered for 2011 and beyond economic impact should not be a consideration. The only consideration should be whether it achieved its intended purpose of making the lake safer for small boats and others using the lake. I suspect that it won't make a big difference since the lake is already very safe but remember that NH now has an extremely Liberal legislature that thinks regulating every aspect of your lives is a good thing.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater View Post
In the current economic, energy and environmental climate I personally don't understand why anyone would buy a huge, noisy, high-speed, gas-guzzling boat, especially if they know about the 45 MPH speed limit. This is as crazy as the soccer moms using their enormous Excursions and Escalades to do errands. I don't want to outlaw them, but what are these people thinking?
I don't agree with this at all. While you may not think it is a good idea, plenty of people do. And in this country, they are able to exercise their freedom of choice. They are thinking that they can afford it, they enjoy it, and they will do it.