View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
ApS

Thumbs down Loud = speed = stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
"...At the risk of being deleted..."
For the record, I inadvertantly posted in the Opposer's Thread and later apologized in that thread. That post—and apology—was deleted, with no small relief to myself!

Quote:
"...I am not a supporter of the speed limit but I do support a noise limit. I think they really are 2 different debates. I am not sure a boat going 45 is much quieter that the same boat going 65. Perhaps stronger noise regulation is needed..."
About 20% of our boaters admit they have LOUD boats that can go fast enough to break the speed limit. Many appear to be in lock-step with each other's noises, and have no indications to compromise their "endearment" of noise.

Recently, due to the hazards of high speed, the legal noise-measure guidelines were changed to stationary measurement.

In response, the noise industry devised mechanical means to defeat those new guidelines. "LOUD PIPES" can be diverted to be acceptably quiet while stationary—but once underway, revert to a new and unapologetic level of NOISE.

If you're perceiving the lake as being LOUDER, you're right.

For me, the lake's last 15 years have been WAY too noisy. This, from "yours-truly", whose career in handling explosive devices should have me totally hearing-impaired by now!

Quote:
"...Or just enforcement...??"
1) Last year, I could count on seeing an MP in my neighborhood every day between 10 to 11-AM—but hardly ever on weekends. Though at distances that couldn't necessarily determine the reason for a stop, "stops" were frequent.

2) Every sunny day, I spend three hours daily to scan the six long miles of The Broads off Rattlesnake Island for my unofficial sailboat count/ratio. (Running about 1:6 to powerboats, BTW). This month, I've only seen two MPs out there.

One MP was towing a riderless Jet-Ski at about 35-MPH—another MP was at top speed on a mission and didn't notice a white 40-foot Fountain that passed the MP at about 70-MPH.

3) Scanning this forum hasn't turned up a single written citation this year!

Quote:
"...My boat, a 24' Fourwinns bowrider has a 280HP Volvo I/O. The noise is minimal. You can't hear it idle when on the dock. It's very nice to have a conversation when moving. I also can't stand when a LOUD boat forces me to stop a conversation.
The required emergency signaling device is also designed to audibly "stop a conversation". Can somebody tell me the point of that requirement, when every passing LOUD boat can obliterate that signal for miles around?