View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Turtle Boy

Holy cow....I was without computer last week and was forced to follow all the new forum developments on a cheap cell phone screen...kind of like watching the World's series through a knot hole in the fence. So...our very own homeland. Seriously though, much thanks to Don for his words of support and validation. I was saying to Turtle Wife(TW) that the forum has now taken a quantum leap forward in terms of civility that mirrors that which has occurred on the lake this year. And so far I have managed not to follow the other SL threads much to the relief of TW and my internist who follows my blood pressure.
I wanted to also mention that I too feel a "compromise" bill that would allow faster speeds on the broads would be wrong. The present SL law embraces that compromise already. Boats can still go very fast, both day and night. Many people are unwilling to give up the broads(sailers, fishermen, small boaters like myself) and if unlimited speeds were permitted only on the broads then that beautiful part of the lake would be even more chaotic than before the SL was passed.
One word on a parallel benefit of the SL. We've noticed a significant decrease in the noise on the lake. People come here for a peaceful and relaxed experience on the lake. It's been nice to fish at the buoys without some GFBL screaming by at 70 MPH only 150' (or less) away. We have friends who own a house 3 miles inland on hills overlooking Winni...they have commented in the past how they hear the GFBL's on Winni from their house. I suspect this problem has been mitigated. And it's also an example of how people who might not be avid boaters still need a say in how the lake is managed! Also thanks to el for his courage. I too feel that there is probably a strong corrolation between those who are aggressive and controlling on the forum and those who wish to act the same on the lake. TB